BOOK REVIEW: OF CURSES AND KISSES BY SANDHYA MENON



3.5/4 out of 5 stars. 


I finished this book really late at night a few days ago and I have been really struggling to figure out a review to write for it. 

The start of this story comes to us really really slowly. I found myself getting tired of the constant reiteration of the character's thoughts and situations. After the 50th time of a character saying that this is their plan and this is what they are going to do, you can kind of just really get tired of it. I think this was my main problem with the story. For the first half of the book we are constantly told the same exact thing every few pages and it disengaged me from the plot line a little. 

BUT, I loved the diversity in this book and the concept of the story is incredible. A boarding school full of kids whose parents are filthy rich but the kids are actually all secretly damaged and kind instead of being mean? SIGN ME UP. 

I did really love the characters in this and the aspects related to the retelling of the beauty and the beast fairytale were well thought of and executed. The poem that reads out the curse for the 'beast' was beautifully haunting and it's been stuck in my head since I've read it the first time. 

The world of the story, the characters, the small details depicting the retelling of the fairytale were all wonderfully written and innovative and I'm really wishing that Sandhya Menon somehow makes this a series of all fairy tale retellings set at St. Rosetta's Academy because I would 100% read them all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW: YES NO MAYBE SO BY BECKY ALBERTALLI AND AISHA SAEED

March Reading Wrap Up!